Monday, 7 July 2008

A big moment!

Lorraine:
The big moment I'm referring to is actually taking my bike out of the basement. More on that later, first a quick recap on exercise activities over the past few days.

Wed - typical weights workout, mostly arms but some legs and abs. Why must it be so cold in the mornings?

Thur - Nothing! Gasp!

Fri - This was a public holiday in the US, so I went with the kids to the gym in the midmorning. I was excited to have a bit more time than usual, and I planned to do a bit on the bike and then a bit of a run. As I was settling my stuff onto an exercise bike, I heard a distinct squawking sound and realized that a spinning class was going. Although I was 10 minutes late, I managed to skulk my way into the back of the class. See, I know that I'll get a more intense cycling workout in a spinning class than by myself on a bike with a magazine! Anyway, it was an instructor I'd never had before and she was doing a full-class hills workout. It was a great workout. I did the cool down leg stretches with the class, dripping with sweat, then headed over to the treadmill and ran for 2 miles. I was pretty proud of myself! The most impressive part to me was that I felt really quite comfortable running the entire time - not out of breath at all, not tired. I wanted to go 3 miles so it would be more like a 5k, but keeping an eye on the clock I knew I was running up against the gym daycare time limit. I was wondering if the workout feeling so good was mostly about just increasing fitness, or also partly because I usually work out at the crack of dawn and the 10am hour is much nicer!

Sat - The spinning instructor was doing the companion flats/sprinting class on Saturday, so again I hauled the children to the gym and did the full class this time - it was about 50 minutes. It was actually harder for me than the hills workout, since I typically really like hills and hate sprinting. Another thing I need an instructor to make me do. After that I only had time to run for 1 mile due to the gym daycare time limit, but still a pretty good showing for two days.

Sun - I had to take Amelia down to Oregon to meet halfway with my mom - she's spending a week at my mom's house. This is a 3-hour drive each way to the meeting spot, and a 6-hour drive in total for each of us. This left me with no time for a workout, but in the afternoon after Oliver's nap I strapped him on my back in the Ergo (which I continue to love), grabbed my very flat bike, and headed off for a 45-minute walk to the bike store to drop it off for a much-needed tune-up and new tires. Shockingly it won't be ready until July 22 (!!) due to a local huge bike race that's happening - all the other local bike stores are the same. So I really won't be able to get on my bike until a couple of weeks before the triathlon! I'll keep up with the indoor stuff, but I know it's not ideal. Probably should have done this errand earlier! Anyway, no official workout but it was a long walk there and back in the sun with my 32-lb toddler on my back.

Mon - today is swimming day, not to be boring or monotonous or anything. I did the same 30 minute workout as always. I have noticed it's getting a bit faster, so I'm left with 2 extra minutes of kickboarding at the end. Which I need - my kicking isn't the best!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

There is nowt wrong with being 'monotonous + boring'...I am justifying our Friday nights beer and curry! It is just easy!

Yay on the bike seeing the light of day. Mine got cleaned and then put away, it seems to like hibernating. I shall reintroduce it to the light soon.

Great training though from you, you are really consistent with it...that will pay off on race day- 5.5weeks to go!