Monday, 23 June 2008

I don't really need to get the bike out, right?

I still have not fished my bike out of the basement...

Another long catch-up. I will stop doing these and get back in blogging shape soon!

Last Wed
Lifting day - I've changed this a bit so it's a catch-all day at the gym, including plenty of arms lifting, a little bit of legs lifting, and some abs. I tried to do that abs thing where you dangle by your arms and lift your legs up, but found it quite....challenging. So I did other abs stuff involving that big exercise ball and the very tilted bench where all the blood rushes to your head.

Last Thur
This day was a "morale event" at work which involved showing up somewhere at 6:45am to get on a boat for 3 hours and then not get back into dock near home until 6:30pm. Talk about improving morale! Anyway, I just headed to the gym briefly for a 35-min stationary bike ride and tried to push it relatively hard. During the morale event I have to add that I went on a 45-minute hike but I should also add to be fair that I ate for well more than 45 minutes :)

Last Fri - nothing! Day off.

Saturday
I wanted to do another mini-brick, so I headed to the gym again. It was actually another freezing day, so don't fault me for yet again leaving my bike in the basement! I rode the bike for 12 miles, which is the short triathlon distance. I put the resistance pretty high, and at that level (while reading a trashy magazine) it took about 35 minutes. I wiped down the bike and trotted immediately over to the treadmill, where I ran at a 10 minute mile pace (yes I'm a slowpoke!) for one mile. It felt good and I could have done more but a 45 minute workout w/shower afterwards was pushing it during naptime! Anyway, hopefully in the future I'll have time to do more running after the bike. I can see how it's really important to practice that as the muscles used are quite different.

Sunday
I wanted to go for an outdoor run but the only time I had free was about 11:30am - too early for naptime, so I figured I had to go to the gym so the kids could go to the daycare. As we were about to head out, my carpool buddy's wife called and said her hubby could watch all four kids so we could go for a run together around the lake! I haven't ever really run with other people as I'm always scared I'll be too horrifically panting and won't be able to talk and will slow the other person down. So we went, and it was great for my self-esteem! We had a good run, it felt comfortable and I would happily do it again. If only Hannah and I were in the same spot!

Today I would normally have gone for a 5am swim, but I'll be doing it tonight instead for various reasons.

This weekend we're going away for a long weekend (Thurs-Sun) while the kiddos go to grandparents!! I'll take running gear and they have bikes to borrow, so here's hoping I stay somewhat on track.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Great Brick session...well done. Wow on the speed of your 12mile bike...I am seriously very behind you on this! All your spin sessions are really paying off.
Less than 2 months to go now!