Sunday, 22 June 2008

Race for Life

Hannah:
Every year in the UK over half a million women take part in the 'Race for Life' races raising money for Cancer research. Each race is 5km long and women can run, jog or walk their way round.
Today, my mum (Val) and I took part in a local 'Race for Life'. We lined up alongside 4600 other women all participating for various reasons. Apart from wearing race numbers, most participants also wear a pink sign on their back naming all the people they are running for or are running in memory of. Val and I ran with the name of a family friend on our backs. Joe died of lung cancer aged just 32 earlier this year, he had never smoked and never got to meet his baby daughter born 2months after he died. Val and I walked and ran round the course, we were joined by Sophie for the final half mile. It was a very emotional race. Reading the signs on the other women's backs was heartbreaking. For more info about 'Race for Life' in the UK, click here!

1 comment:

tri-moms said...

What a wonderful experience. I love this tri-generational running you've been doing.

(Lorraine)